Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Good points here, different experience

The LST which was cloned by Cello had 4 such tweeters aimed in 3 directions. In fact AR built that speaker for Cello for a while. Too bad they didn't incorporate this idea in AR9.

I remember the LST. Hearing them for the first time was quite a letdown after the gushing review by Hirsch. Even the dealer called them a "toad". While they may have radiated peachy keen, they were dull and bland. That and the 10" woofer variation didn't last long.

Your speakers radiate 50% of their sound including high frequency sound away from you.

More than that. Unlike flat paneled flavors, the U-1s radiate uniformly across a 90 degree arc. First reflection point damping is critical!

My speakers radiate well over 90% of their high frequency energy away from me just the way most real musical instruments do.

Yes and no. If you choose a distant listening perspective where the indirect sound dominates the field, then yes. That is certainly not the case when one is much closer. Like listening to my wife play the piano in the living room. Like the last time I heard the Carmina Burana where I was in Row C. I assure you the first violins were up close and personal. Or to a lesser degree in Row G where Harry Pearson likes. As opposed to another mentor, Dr. Cooledge (a 30 year baritone in the ASO Chorus and former TAS reviewer) who has always bought season tickets in the Loge. There is no one answer.

More tweeters means little or no tendency to dynamic compression due to voice coil heating.

Agreed. The most impressive HF reproduction I've heard was from the ribbon array in HP's Nola Reference system. With an incredibly pure front end and seemingly unlimited quantities of power (a pair of VTL Wotans delivering 1200 watts triode), there was simultaneously a sense of delicacy, power and utter ease. The sound field was enormous. (I'd like to hear those amps driving my stats). There is nothing like that completely unstrained sense of "authority" like one experiences live.

$35,000 is a lot of money for loudspeakers.

I bought mine used for about two thirds of that. They did, however, have new cores (panels), and completely upgraded electronics shipped directly from the factory. The frames were slightly scratched though. A little touch up paint did the trick. :)

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.