Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Soundmind It's YOU Who Refuses To Believe The Facts & The Truth -- NOT Me!

Soundmind in all honestly, I am NOT trying to hurt or insult you. In fact it's only through reading these last few posts in this thread that I truly understand why you feel what you do, and that saddens me.

You're acting like a defeatist. This comment of yours is an excellent example of that attitude: "And that truth is that you put your best sound system together and I can take anyone with normal hearing blindfolded into a room with it and someone playing an actual unamplified musical instrument and they will have no trouble picking out which is which just about every single time."

First I'll readily admit that this is true. Neither I nor anyone I know has ever believed my audio system replicates music 100% the way live music sounds! However, I don't believe that fact should prevent me from trying to achieve the closest to the 100% goal that I can.

You on the otherhand became disillusioned. It appears you've decided that if I cannot have a 100% exact replication of live music in your home, I'll just stick with what I have, because why does it matter?

You even admitted "My problem was that I expected audio equipment to live up to its billing." The fact that audio equipment didn't provide you with a 100% accurate replication of live music broke your desire to try and achieve the best replication of live music audio can provide. But unfortunately it did even more than that it made you cynical.

This comment of yours "And if a sound system which could convince someone that they were hearing actual music were built, under an identical experiment, substituting a Citation 11 preamp or inserting a BSR equalizer would not alter that result either." Is just 100% WRONG, period! The Citation 11 preamp has long since been bettered and many of todays preamps are providing a larger percentage of the idea 100%, than your Citation 11 does, and that's a fact!

I told you I used to own a Citation 11 and I replaced it with a GAS Thadrea. To be honest I liked the way the Citation looked more than I did the Thadrea. But Thadrea just all around provided a larger percentage of what live music sounds like and so it replaced the Citation 11. Guess what Soundmind, the Thadrea has long since been bettered itself, by other preamps. But you remain too disillusioned to belive this plain and simple truth.

I know what I say is true. I'm basing some of my comments on how you responded to this remark I made to you. I said in so many words that John Curl could most likely design a better preamp than you could. Your response absolutely shocked me, you said : "I don't have to, that's the whole point. His preamp would do nothing to make a sound system perform any better by my standards compared to a Citation 11." I just couldn't fathom that you honestly believe that the preamps of today are no better than your Citation 11!

Soundmind today you are so cynical and disillusioned you've convinced yourself to believe what isn't true. Here's the TRUTH, the Citation 11 by todays standards of preamps is mid-fi at best!

If you honestly cannot hear that many of todays preamps offer a considerably larger percentage of the 100% ideal replication of live music, that I wouldn't recommend you to be upgrading to them either.

But PLEASE don't proclaim as fact there's no preamp made today that would make a sound system perform any better by the standards of replicating live music compared to a Citation 11. That statement is ludicrous and dishonest.

As I said before I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT'S UNTRUE! I owned a Citation 11 in the past. It was replaced immediately when I installed a GAS Thadrea I borrowed from a friend. Why? because the Thadrea provided a much larger percentage of the 100% ideal of replicating live music and the real truth is Thadrea couldn't hold a candle to many of the better preamps made today!

The Citation 11 is a dinosaur, by today's standard of audio replication is mid-fi at best. It could of course be given to Jim McShane and improved apon considerably, which would still allow you to have the equalizer you desire, but it still wouldn't be the equal of the best preamps of today.

Soundmind you are too intelligent to honestly believe audio hasn't advanced at all and your Citation 11 is the equal to today's best preamps. Just take it to a local audio salon and have them place it in one of their highend systems in place of one of todays better preamps, if you're correct you'll hear no changes between it and the preamp it replaced. If however you try that and come back and say you heard absolutely no difference, I'd suggest you go have your hearing checked!

Now if you find that insulting, than it's the truth that insults you, NOT me.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.