Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I got to be "fortunate" or my ears are all rusted.

"The last thing I want to do is to add any distortion generators like tone controls let alone frequency equalizers in my audio chain. It only block up the see-through transparency of my soundstage which is my first sonic priority."

Funny, the recording engineer didn't have those concerns when he sat in front of 128 different tone controls on his mixing console tweaking them like mad to get the sound he wanted when he made your recordings.

"I tested the acoustics of my basement audio den with a realtime acoutical frequency analyzer with the pick-up microphone of the analyser placed on my head at my 'sweet spot'. Thank the Almighty, I could not see any questionable peaks & dips across the 20Hz to 20KHz spectrum display."

There is only one possible explanation for that, you equipment is broken. ALL sound systems have peaks and dips in the passband. I think it was Bassnut Rich Greene who said bass response usually varies over a range of 40 db, a factor of 10,000 to one. And then there are room resonances...ten million of them in the average room in the audio passband. You might consider having your equipment repaired...or learning how to use it.

"Of coure, I am pretty forgiving & I don't think my rusted ears can detect some plus/minus decimal dB accuracy"

You're no John Atkinson. He can detect +/- 0.1 db and demands perfection from his recordings. It wouldn't surprise me if he could hear up to 400,000,000 as well. At least in his dreams...as superbatman.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.