Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Excellent points

>It's about soundstaging, imaging, and resolution.

Some ic's or cables can push the center vocal to the back wall. Other's can flesh it out and leave it hanging in the air within the speaker plane or slightly out in front of it. Does that make it a good or bad ic/cable? That's for the listener to decide.<

As I've said before, there is no argument as far as I'm concerned as to whether different cables can sound different. My question is WHY do they sound different? Which cable (if either) above is the neutral cable? If it's true that common zipcord "passes the signal in its entirety", then it must also be true that some audiophile cables must pass something in addition to the entire signal. Or is it the cables interaction with certain ancillary gear that causes these changes?

Your example is one of the differences I've perceived in different cables. I have to say that I've never heard a cable function as a frequency boost or cut, at least not in any case that turned out to be anything but faulty perception that didn't hold up under single blind auditions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Excellent points - kerr 12:15:23 08/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.