Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Interesting point

Although I normally skip over Soundmind's comments as they have been inevitably boring, with little documentation.

There has been some annotation by S/S designers in particular, who have told me that the concept of subharmonics is beginning to be explored. Mind you, the premise is in its very early stages, and there is nothing officially documented or published, just some anecdotal evidence.
The idea is that RF can be picked up by your cables (true enough) and then it can enter the feedback loop of your equipment. There it can intermodulate and the subharmonics of the RF picked up can create anomalies in the lower audio bandwidth: say if you have 100mHz signal and then a 100 mHz plus 10 signal, you can end up with a 10 Hz sub harmonic.

One designer, who is working on this, says he discovered this accidentally while investigating power supply current draw, and noticed it was more than what was calculated. The RF IM was creating an amplifier oscillation, a very small one to be sure, but still noticable in the sounds. He was rather reluctant to say more, so my guess is that he is still working on the various aspects of this issue.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Interesting point - unclestu52 20:37:16 08/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.