Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Excellent points

I would add that any comparative listening has to be done in one's own room on their own system. It's the only true reference point available.

Yes, audio gear should replicate a live event. But to hear differences in ic's or cables must be done on the system you are used to listening to. And it's not just about highs, mids and lows. It's about soundstaging, imaging, and resolution.

Some ic's or cables can push the center vocal to the back wall. Other's can flesh it out and leave it hanging in the air within the speaker plane or slightly out in front of it. Does that make it a good or bad ic/cable? That's for the listener to decide.

IOW, there is a lot more to comparative listening than simple freq response.

I have dabbled with homebrew PC's using different shielded cables I have acquired from work. As a result, I cannot justify spending money on pc's as I hear no difference between the one's I have constructed. These were: CAT5, 2-cond 16ga stranded tinned copper with foil and braid shield, 6-cond 18ga stranded tinned copper with foil and braid shield. And these have been compared to cheap-o molded pc's. I just don't hear anything worth talking to fellow enthusiasts about or spending money on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Excellent points - BS64 11:01:04 08/27/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.