Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It really doesn' matter if Rock and Pop record in DSD...

"Teresa, I'm not a classical music fan but I'm sure that you can even agree that many of the best performance of classic repertoire were recorded in the golden age of stereo. So do you just want music that has the most realistic sound or do you want the best performance of the music?"

Believe it or not I want both great performaces and great sound! And I admit this is easier to do in the Classical word than Rock as many famous musicians are either dead or no longer have the talent they had when they were younger. Perhaps if Rock music started paying more attention to the sound maybe it might inspire musicians to make better music?

I used to think I couldn't live without the performances on golden age recordings but not anymore especially as more and more stunning performances come out on DSD recorded SACDs.

I recently replaced two of my favorite Fritz Reiner RCA Living Stereo SACDs with modern performances recorded DSD that surpassed those treasured favorites in every way possible.

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings Percussion and Celesta
Saito Kinen Orchestra
Seiji Ozawa (conductor)
Philips SACD 475 6201 - DSD recorded
This is the absolute best versions of either of these works I've heard yet and this is the best sounding Philips SACD, and I believe one of their last one's, a real shame.

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on Bald Mountain, Prelude to "Khovanshchina"
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
Paavo Järvi (Jarvi) (conductir)
Telarc SACD-60705
This is a little slower tempo than the Reiner but it feels "right" and drama and excitement is unsurpassed. The bass drum is almost as realistic as a real bass drum in a concert hall, Telarc usually gets close in this department but this SACDs sounds and more importantly "feels" like live music though my stereo. By contrast the Reiner merely sounds like a good recording.

So I look forward to many more excitingly realistic DSD recorded SACDs!

Give me high resolution or remain silent,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It really doesn' matter if Rock and Pop record in DSD... - Teresa 17:26:47 03/20/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.