Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: "gigantic" is relative

No, your number is not right. You might fell that way, but not true at all. This is because your system did not pick up full potential of the SACD that record/coded.

Here is simple example to illustrate my point.
Supposed a instrument strikes a sound like sawtooth wave, say like:
http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Sawtooth_Wave.html

So this sound wave in the studio or live concert to hits a microphone which is to pickup. A 16/44 CD cannot code this wave correctly at all. It poorly coded, so that all the higher order harmonics will be mis-coded. Plus, CD cutoffs at 20kHz, now assume this sound wave fundamental is at 2kHz, so over 30% of harmonics (above 20kHz) are chopped off in this case. Yes I said over 30%.

Now for a DSD recording on SACD, that is 64 times resolution and cutoff at 100kHz, that can far better code this waveform.
Lets illustrate this point, listen to this 100 Hz adding only 15 orders..
http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Law_of_Superposition.html

just imaging if this waveform is at fundamental is at 2kHz, can upto 50 order harmonics recorded on SACD…. Now,if your system can or cannot pickup that much info from that SACD is another matter. If so, as the link show as an sample..
You will hear how much diff if miss or wrong weights of harmonics…..
Concept of using low rez CD is a fundamental fraud in terms of recording Classical music, DSD recording is way to go. I do not care for other types of music that has no sensitive attributes on this matter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.