Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Small clarification: I have no interest in proving -anything- to -anyone-. Prove it to yourselves.

I am not convinced by any of the standard explanations of how domestic freezing (and possibly cryo?) may affect the performance of audio components. That's because the theory is not borne out when "certain variables" are introduced. I am all too familiar with the tendency of orthodox audio engineers to go with whatever is "conveniently understood", and to stomp all over what isn't, and what may be difficult to prove to -their- satisfaction.
And as the title says, I am not here to convince anyone of anything. Anyone with an interest in audio science can start exploring this idea themselves, and "maybe" start to catch up to those who knew about it over 20 years ago.

If people are going to start arguing with me that they won't try it because there isn't enough evidence to convince them it works, I'm really not interested in hearing your complaints. Just don't try it, and continue to pretend you know everything and that you are sincerely interested in progressive ideas in audio science. You would, of course, be kidding yourself, and you will not advance in your knowledge. It is entirely your right to remain ignorant about audio or anything else in the universe, and its even your right to claim otherwise, when you're simply wrong and have no interest in making any effort to gain knowledge to change your situation. Viva la liberte! I will just quote the one immutable truth written by tubeguy, re: the issue of whether freezing has performance benefits for audio:

"That's a question everyone has to answer for themselves."

Now. If enough people show enough scientific curiousity to make determinations of the DOMESTIC FREEZER effect on their own, -then- perhaps we can go on to the next step. Which might be demonstrating the effect of improved sound can't simply be due to alignment of crystalline structures or limited to what Crygoenics Int'l says about it, and only -then- can we seriously look at or talk about how the effect may work. (wrt -sound-,and not other effects freezing may or may not have, which are beyond the theme of this forum). As in most scientific discoveries, observation comes first, hypotheses come later. Nuff said. Here are sound samples for you to listen to, if you are interested in finding out about the phenomenon (of, once again!, DOMESTIC freeze effect):

http://www.mympxplayer.org/4-vt4234.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

Scroll down to post "Lattesurf", 31 Mar, 2007.

Listed at the bottom of his post are mp3 test files of the DOMESTIC FREEZER freeze effect, which this open-minded invididual tested on his mp4 player. (n.b. Not CD, not amplifier... mp4 player). I dont think I need to mention here that if the effect can be had on an mp4 player (and it can), then CI's idea that it "clarifies" and "aligns" the polycarbonate so the laser can read the "pits" and "lands" accurately without refraction" doesn't go far enough to explain the phenomenon.

A number of others have tested the effect on their players, reporting similar results. I suggest you start with clip 2 (only because the others are bloody awful music...). The experimenter stated that he viewed the audio waveforms of the files, and they showed cleaner step responses. Also that a background noise commonly present on that model player was reduced or eliminated. n.b. This doesn't replace a proper freeze test, it only gives you an idea of what to expect. But it takes 2 minutes to evaluate, instead of 2 days (in what one brave PHPer described as a "tedious process").

Objective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.