Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

The Structural Changes Are Permanent

Hello Kerr,

The structural changes of cryoing are permanent in that they'll last the lifetime of the component IIRC. As far as sonic changes I heard a difference between the cryoed Bendix 6900 and the untreated Bendix 6900. As the structural changes of cryoing are permanent I'd assume that "IF" a sonic difference is heard they'd be permenant as well.

In the 6900 tubes the bass was considerably less bloated. But I didn't do any longterm comparisons. Some people swear by cryoed tubes, others prefer the tubes untreated. A friend of mine cryoed some 6550's and didn't like the change in the sound characteristic, so much for Clifff's leap of faith that cryoing sounds better!

Do some research you'll see what Clifff admitted in his first reply i.e, "Heat treatment, annealing, hardening etc, and stress relief of metal structures by supercooling cycles is well accepted and has been for years." So it's known fact that cryoing affects the structure of metals, plastics and glass. What's debatable for most objectivists is whether that translates to a sonic difference. What's debatable for most subjectivists who've actually heard a cryoed tube is NOT whether that translates to a sonic difference, but rather is that sonic difference an improvement or a detriment.

As far as any other audio components besides tubes. I know that cryoing will affect the physical structure of the component, but I don't know whether that translates to a sonic difference with these devices. I've never heard cryoed wires, amps, CDPs etc. so I'll refrain from making comments on what I haven't heard for myself.

Thetubeguy1954

"If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.” Richard Feynman theoretical physicist, 1918-1988

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The Structural Changes Are Permanent - thetubeguy1954 10:52:48 04/11/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.