Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Serious answer and question

Hi

I worked at a company that had a material science lab once and had asked about what happens when things are super cooled “cryoed”.
If I recall, the reason was it is reliving the internal stresses in the material which were put there when the material was formed.
These folks dealt with LN2 not modestly cool temperatures one could reach in a home freezer. Also, heat annealing was far more common approach to releasing stress.

So far as audibility of Cryo, I don’t know, I suspect it might not effect something’s but might not others but keep in mind, a home freezer is not cold enough to be “cryo” in the scientific sense.
I don’t know where you live but in my part of the country, it would be hard to insure that the gear hadn’t already been frozen at one point or another.
Before arriving in a living room or store, the gear spends time in an un-heated trucks and warehouses. Certainly, any of the Tube gear or old electronics I have to play with have been frozen, for weeks on end by virtue of being stored where its freezing in the winter.

I would ask then, what are the sonic attributes you hear when you freeze something?
Best,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Serious answer and question - tomservo 07:14:35 04/11/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.