Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Misstatements?

Where is the summed response +7 -5??? There ain't no +7 anywhere near the audible range. I can see why you could misread the divisions above 10K, but I assure that high frequency tweeter resonance is way up about 27K or so, and not even you can hear it. JA didn't mention it, possibly presuming that by now readers would know how to read his graphs, but to go by your example, evidently a dangerous assumption. Anyway, here's an earlier review where JA did describe it. See his remarks above Fig. 2:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/272/index6.html

So much for the +7 dB!!

Now, the -5 dB. This is a very narrow interference dip on axis around 12.8 kHz. Being very narrow and quite high, it's not very audible. As well, the dip does not occur in the off axis curves, again reducing its audibility. If you read the review, you will see that JA commented on that as well, but apparently it slid past you. Now, the research of Dr. Floyd Toole has shown that off axis dispersion affects the sound of speakers a great deal in the real world, a conclusion accepted by JA, BTW, among others. But you totally ignore that.

You also have utterly failed to see one of my points, which is that the broad modifications introduced by using using the tube amp specified would probably be quite audible--in fact, certainly more audible than that ultrasonic ringing which even you can't hear, and also more audible the very narrow interference dip around 12.8 kHz on axis. So much for the significance of the -5 dB dip, whose audibility you exaggerate.

If the impedance curves are flat, then a good tube amp and a good SS state amp should have virtually identically FR's into the speaker load. So I see no argument for preferring tubes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.