Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I'm just not sure about one thing

Of course, my idea of natural sound has not been verified, either.

Musician? Well, I've been a choral singer most of my life and have been capable of baritone solos for some decades. I've done some recordings. Just heard the dress rehearsal for Messiah last night (I have laryngitis, so couldn't participate). Maybe I'll be able to do some of the performances . . .

Yep. Speaker with a depressed midrange will sound that way played louder too, but that can be quite pleasant on a lot of material. But it doesn't prevent them from sounding great at low levels.

Walking away from a live performance is not the same as turning the volume down.

You'd better look at those equal loudness curves again. Sensitivity in the bass drops quite a bit as the level goes down.

When you get around to measuring the behavior of speakers at low levels I'll give your theories more credence. Perception of the distance of the sound source seems to be a controverted area with natural sounds and the sound image from a stereo system lacks many of the clues we can have with natural sounds.

Oh, I just looked on the Stereophile site and there is an interesting article by Keith Howard on voice coil heating and changes in impedance. He thinks it's likely to be a negligible factor in normal listening.

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1106hot/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.