Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

SM, I am an engineer

a software engineer. While I now work in a sales role communicating the value proposition of applied technology, for years I wrote sophisticated inventory management code. I am inherently a techie geek.

I learned long ago, however, that it is the considered application of knowledge that is of value, not blind acceptance. Most electrical engineering (like IT) is cut and dry. When you flip the switch, the light works or it doesn't. The program accurately calculates the double exponential smoothed usage trend or it doesn't.

The particular application to audio is fundamentally different. Even you acknowledge the limitations of the metrics on which many engineers place too much emphasis. They focus on the trees and completely miss the forest. The qualitative component to audio reproduction eludes quite a few otherwise talented engineers. Fortunately, there are quite a few who really get it. It is they who advance the art, not the junior varsity team at Crown who worship at the alter of THD. Specs look great therefore it must be good, right? Wrong!

We have some exceptionally smart guys on our development teams who really have no idea whatsoever as to the end user's specific needs or how these customers interact with the software they write. They just burn out the code. And sometimes make some really dumb user interface mistakes. Similarly, there are quite a few audio engineers who just burn out designs with no notion of how well they actually perform in the real world.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.