Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Nice

The black felt covers 2" of acoustic absorber. When listening, the speakers were out 4' into room. The ceiling is 22'. Rug not in picture.
I heard an Alon several years back. Nice, but I need dipole bass to at least 50hz or so. Then I let the pressure source take over.
The Soundlabs and large Apogee's that I have heard would probably satisfy 90% of my audio needs. My own preference is for the sheer power of dynamic drivers, although ribbons also have their allure.
The HK's function is purely 8ch volume control and tweeter amp.
I had a Sunfire Theater Grand in there and could hear no difference.
If there is a component out there that would yield higher resolution or even just an audible difference, it would be in the 1-2% range.
In other words, *very* subtle difference, if any. Simply not worth my time pursuing when the HK does its job for very little $ and my time/effort can then be concentrated on improving my speaker system, the room and the speaker/room interface, which makes up 95-98% of the difference in every audio system I have ever heard.
I choose to spend my finite resources on what I find to be most important to the sound.
Music? I like it all. Acoustic Jazz, electronic Jazz, Latin Jazz, Classical, Big Band, Light Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Pop, Dance, Blues, Folk, Country, Reggae, etc, etc. Not just lip service or to appear cool. I actually have tons of cds in all those genre's. I was an early adopter of XM. Not for the SQ! Mainly because of the variety. I'm listening to it right now. Perfect for when I surf. OB Tannoy ICT driver DIY computer speakers of course.
I try to attend as many concerts as possible to remind myself of how far away I really am each time I listen to something recorded. I use to go to the high end stores as often as I could for reality checks when designing my speakers. I dont hardly anymore since I haven't heard anything recent that I would trade my system for (yes, I'm well aware of Beraneks law LOL). It was designed by me and optimized for my specific room and tastes (neutrality and realism as I know it). Thats tough for a designer sitting somewhere else trying to please the masses to compete against. I haven't seen too many DSP driven, room adaptable OB (or electrostat/ribbon/boxless) in showrooms. Looks like there was only 1 at RMAF. I suspect we will see more as time marches on.
As long as those fancy cables don't degrade the sound, I see nothing in your system that I would object to sonically other than maybe the records, which I'm not too fond of. The speakers are not boxes, the amps are tube, but have plenty power, you have a CD player, so yeah, I'd most likely be just fine with the sound.
BTW, as I noted previously, I have a different listening room now and so the speakers are being revised to reflect higher SPL capabilty - due to lower neighbor proximity.
I'll post it here when I'm done and give my impression of Tom Servos demo - and its effect on the neighborhood.

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Nice - AJinFLA 19:20:15 11/03/06 (1)
    • Hmmm - E-Stat 06:41:48 11/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.