Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

This Could Be Caused By "Expectation Biases" No?

Hi Ugly,

Allow me to play the devil's advocate. From your statement "Ever since I have had amps with the clipping light built in my eyes have been opened. This little feature teaches a listener how the difference sounds." It seems that before you owned amps with the clipping light built in, you didn't hear the amp clipping. Therefore isn't it quite possible that it's only because you can actually see the amp clipping that your expectation biases are "fooling" you into believing you are hearing the differences? So now when you see the clipping light go on, it sounds bad to you because you expect a clipping amp to sound?

I'd like to see proof. For me it wouldn't even need to be a DBT with an ABX comparator that the proponents of Objective listening would normally require of such a claim. I'd be satisfied if somehow the clipping lights weren't able to be seen by you and you could still identify everytime the amp clipped. Please understand, I'm not saying that you cannot hear when the amp clips. I'm a Subjectivist at heart so I believe it's quite possible that you can. However as your ability to discern when your amp clipped only occured when you had lights informing you the amp was clipping, I'd just like to see if you could still tell with the lights not visable to you...

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.