Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Oh yea!

"What's the sonic difference between an amp clipping and an amp attempting to reproduce a recorded clipped or otherwise damaged non-continuous waveform?"

That is a very complicated question. On the one hand we have an amplifier perfectly reproducing a distorted waveform. On the other, we have an amplifier producing its own distortion. Will it distort in exactly the same way? Who can say? Not likely though IMO. Could you hear the difference? I don't know. Probably depends on how the amplfier recovers from clipping.

"Probably so but in no way does that mean the sound produced will be preferential to the sound of less objectively idealic performers."

I look at it rather differently. I see an audio amplifier as a purely electrical device which performs a purely electrical function. If it makes a bad loudspeaker sound bad, a bad recording sound bad, it's doing its job properly. If it disguises the shortcomings of other equipment, no matter how much you may prefer to listen to that sound, IMO it is not performing its function well. IMO, the correct engineering approach is to correct the source of the distortion. In this case, chucking the Klipschorn in the trash or sending it to a museum for display would be an excellent start in the right direction.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Oh yea! - Soundmind 08:26:55 11/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.