Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Nice

Although I've never heard the Orions, I have only heard good things about them. I've always preferred baffle-less speakers ever since I sold Dahlquists back in the 70s. That reminds me of another designer who favors such, Carl Marchisotto. He's a really nice guy. Ever heard these?:

Nola Grand Reference

They are capable of creating a most convincing soundstage.

Find all that voodoo rubbish in your system indefensible huh?

Marketing folks do get kind of carried away with product names, don't they? The Harmonic Tech power cords are 8 gauge using 6N silver with multiple RFI shields. They work quite effectively with my ten amp draw monoblock amps to minimize all noise found in the AC. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on their color, since I find the purple a bit gaudy. Then again, I didn't buy them based on cosmetics. JPS Superconductors are merely very well shielded low capacitance cables. Like the Magics, the shielding is so stiff, they will hold any shape. The Leviton outlets are required due to their higher contact resistance than your basic $.95 outlet. The Magics had trouble pulling themselves out of the wall. :)

Rather attack mine to distract from yours?

Why would I "attack" your system? You mistake me for someone far younger or insecure. It appears you may be a speaker builder since you name each of the drivers used in your Orions and have pics on your website. I never developed that much enthusiasm for the nuts and bolts of the gear. As for the H-K Receiver, I suspect it is quite similar to my NAD T763 in resolution. I know its performance envelope quite well. I had an H-K Citation 11 preamp back in '74. Nice unit. Speaking of names, does that mean the designer got eleven speeding tickets during its development?

The only criticism I might voice has to do with the room itself. You have quite a challenge with all of the hard and reflective surfaces. Cinder block walls behind the speakers, shiny hardwood floors, floor reaching glass to the left covered only by plastic? shutters, and glass block to the right under the spiral staircase. Is that a black chaulkboard above the cinder block? Seems to me you would have a rather nasty slap echo issue. I'm not sure if you may have a WAF issue, but in my college days, I hung large tapestries on the back wall to tame the reflections and always had carpet on the floor.

Several miles of copper wire from power station to neighborhood

Ever use a water filter before? Power conditioning strategies are not intended to fix problems with the local sub station. There is nothing to fix. The problem(s) exist within your house, some of which are inches away from the amplifiers. Ever heard of RFI? Perhaps you do not perceive that to be an issue in your house. As a computer guy, I have four computers, a router, two wireless access points, four wireless phones, three digital cable boxes and six CD/DVD players that all happily spew RFI back into the AC and to the nearby area. If you don't believe me, tune an AM radio off station in the vacinity of a CD /DVD player. Hear the garbage whose IM products are only too happily amplified by your wide band amplfiers.

Thanks for the detailed reply, but you didn't answer my first question. What kind of music do you enjoy?

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nice - E-Stat 16:39:31 11/03/06 (2)
    • Re: Nice - AJinFLA 19:20:15 11/03/06 (1)
      • Hmmm - E-Stat 06:41:48 11/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.