Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I believe it is the case..

Ever since I have had amps with the clipping light built in my eyes have been opened. This little feature teaches a listener how the difference sounds. To go loud with 20-20KHz response is going to take some very big power in my system. After some experimentation it has become apparent that most of the power available goes toward reproducing the lower frequencies. I came to this conclusion after noticing that I could achieve higher SPL's by raising the lower frequency rolloff frequency (by twaeking with my EQ). In my system it is very possible to make more noise by continuing to turn the volume knob but after the clip lights come on it sounds very bad to my ears. It seems the fate of a solid state amp owner is to continually add more powerful amps until the volume levels you desire are achievable without ever clipping the output signal. I am about where I want to be now @ about 1200W peak per side but I think my speakers could take more and I am considering a couple of 2.5KW per side monoblocks to see how it sounds. I like nice full bass when I turn it up.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.