Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I'm just not sure about one thing

I see now why you are obssessed with NRC measurements and FR response because you own paradigms. I was also kind of that way when I owned them because afterall it is sort of the their USP. You have to believe their marketing hype to buy the speakers of course. Oh and they don't sound too bad...but not great either.

What I realized along the way in this journey is that flat FR is one of the easiest things to fix and not even that important to getting a live sounding system. Transparency, coherenecy (including the time domain), low level resolution, dynamics, freedom from compression, low coloration, and low distortion are all just as important and more importantly, not correctable by DSP.

You are apparently still in that stage of the audio hobby where you think the speaker is the only or at least by far the most important part of a system. This is most likely due to the fact that you have only mediocre components in your system. Switching with other mediocre components brings no real improvement. Of course one needs a sufficiently resolving speaker to begin with. You can do much better than the Paradigm S2 (not new maybe but there are plenty of better used speakers to be found). You can do seriously better (the whole system that is) for not that much money.

What I have found is that once you have a speaker that is truly transparent, low in coloration, high in coherency (means time aligned or single driver usually), low in distortion, and highly resolving of low level information (something paradigms do not excel at doing) then the speaker no long becomes the limiting factor in your system. Gear differences become so obvious that you wonder why others even argue about it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.