Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: This Could Be Caused By "Expectation Biases" No?

No problem at all Tubeguy. I expect to be questioned about my results. In my opinion it is necessary for seperating the wheat from the chaff. Not sure of the history here but I can guarantee there will be differences between certain tubes and interconnects which even a deaf person can detect. It is all relative you know.

Point taken about the subjective part of it and I agree that the psychological effect of too much marketting can be very dangerous thing indeed but I would like to propose to you the following which I now consider a reality: The distortion from clipping in a solid state amp is extremely easily noticeable and audible. Once you have a clip light (or perhaps even more correctly an oscilloscope attatched on the output waveforms such that the clipping can directly be observed) to teach you how the clipping sounds and under what conditions it becomes a problem it is very easy to identify. It is kind of like riding a bike in that way, once you know you pretty much just always know from then on. And it is not so much that you have learned something new it is just now you have a name for what you have always heard and been aware of and can talk about it just a bit more intelligently.

I can understand why what I have said might seem a bit foreign to a tube amp guy though. From what I have read tubes clip in a more graceful way by human perception standards and so maybe a tube amp guy might not notice what sends us SS amp guys right up the wall. You'll just have to believe me on this one I guess when I say that I think even you would agree if exposed to the situation I have in my system. It is very obvious once you see/hear it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.