Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I'm just not sure about one thing

"In JA's opinion, my speakers are not particularly difficult to drive. Are you seriously trying to maintain a Quad 606 can't handle them?"

Name? What are these wonderful mystery machines? The Quad 606? Whatever floats your boat.

"How closely did you equalize the FR of the different amps?"

The limits of the RTA are around 0.2db and I try to keep each band within 0.5db of each other. This is measured in room with pink noise with a microphone at the listening position. This is about as close as one can reasonably do without a TACT.

"What controls did you use?"

Not sure exactly what you mean here? A blank? I can bypass the equalization with the push of one button. There is no blank in this situation because SOME amp has to be driving the speakers or there is no sound at all. What controls do YOU use? Do you even equalize your system? How many different amps have you tested with NO equalization?

"What were the blind test results?"

Tests were not conducted blind. Results are based on long term listening impressions. I have done single blind tests with preamps and the results were pretty conclusive that differences were easily audible...I would expect the same with amps but it is far less practical with amps.

"I could ask the same questions about your comments on distortion. Do you have audibility data?"

I made a test cd of solo violin with distortion added as per the software that Keith howard made available after his stereophile article. Most of the added distortion was audible compared to the undistorted original but certain types were clearly less pleasant than others. The original undistorted was the preferred track.

There have been published studies on the audibility of distortion. I don't have them immediately avaiable but if you search I am sure you will find some.

The X1 is not a terrible measuring speaker but it is far from the flattest. I have seen $500 speakers with a flatter FR and that was my main point that this flat measuring $500 speaker sounds far worse than an X1 even though its FR is far better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.