Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Transmitter Tube SET. What Are Your Overall Experiences?

Hello Mr. Pig! I've been the owner of a 135 LBs, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, SET amp/integrated amp --{depends on which option I select on a front dial, but I use it as an amp}-- so trust me when I say there's an SET amp out there for you! I've been using my Mastersound SET amp for 20+ years. I used to run an online group on Yahoo called SETriodes for 18+ years -{that's before they drastically changed it and turned it into an email-based forum}- now SETriodes is on Facebook, but I digress. I started the SETriodes online group because this was my first, and only, SET amp and I wanted to talk with as many SET owners as I possibly could. Truth be told over those 18+ years I've talked with literally 100's of people who were looking to obtain their first SET amp, but they didn't want to spend thousands of dollars and they needed it to have some power. One of the 845 amps I remember that seemed to get really good feedback from owners was the Shuguang SG-845 Amp! It has 21W/ch and uses 6SN7 as preamp tubes, 300B as driver tubes, and 845 as output tubes. You can -{and you should}- look around to get the best price, but I included a link below because it describes the amp pretty well and has a few good pictures of it -{I like the black one best!}- and it has the lowest price I could find when shipping is added.

Now as far as their sound goes 845 tubes are getting incredibly close to the 300B's midrange but with better bass and treble. You could start with the very inexpensive, but nice sounding pair of Psvane HiFi Series 845 tubes on eBay for about $160/matched pair --{I was using a quad of these in my Mastersound amp as I saved for the quad of literally jaw-dropping, great-sounding, Shuguang WE845 tubes that arrived last week! These Shuguang WE845 tubes are the best WE845 tubes I've heard from any company! In fact, they are much better sounding than the other companies WE845 tubes I previously used}- so take your time and save up, contact AliExpress online and buy a pair of the Shuguang WE845 for about $490/matched pair! The level of sonic improvement will amaze you. You can check them out here "if" you're interested: https://tinyurl.com/Shuguang-WE845 Unfortunately, I'm unable to answer any technically-oriented questions you might have but look for the moniker deafbykhorns he can answer any tech questions you might have. He's very knowledgeable and he's a great tech. In fact, he repaired my Mastersound a few short months ago when at just over 20 years old it needed its first repair job! Oh yes, I almost forgot, a couple more 845-based SET amps you might want to check out are the Mr. Liang 845, and the Musical Angel XD845, Good luck Mr. Pig and happy hunting....

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.