Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: we agree on the bit about the OPT at least.

My 211 SETs can output 30W in Class A2, and distortion is very low all the way out to that maximum capability.

Class A2 (and now class A3) do help get more power at low distortion out of any tube amp. We use class A2 in our amps quite a lot.

I'd be interested in seeing what the distortion signature of your amp is really like. I'm not disputing your claim; I've just not seen an SET that does not make more higher ordered harmonics when you get past about 20-25% of full power- somewhere in there anyway; it varies from amp to amp.

Even though you might not consciously hear them because they are masked by the lower ordered harmonics, the ear does respond to the higher orders because the ear/brain system uses them to sense sound pressure (fundamental tones without overtones being pretty rare in nature...). Since this distortion is initially turning up on transients as you run the volume up (since that is where the power is) it can give the amp a very lively 'dynamic' presentation.

We've all read about this frequently in comments about SETs, particularly in reviews where the reviewer simply didn't have speakers of sufficient efficiency.

Another way of putting this is that your amplifier in particular does not sound as 'dynamic' as other SETs (which IMO is a good thing, since real dynamics come from the recordings, not the electronics). Do I have this right?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.