Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: we agree on the bit about the OPT at least.

Sorry Ralph this is kind of a dumb comment on your part. Loudness perception is only in small partially determined by high order harmonics. Masking unnatural ones (as all non_linear artifacts are unnatural) only prevents the unnatural excess of loudness that has the effect of also making things sound closer than they should because depth perception is dependent on the relative HF content. High order distortion impacts HF perception the most and pushes the sound forward in an unnatural way.

Masked is masked, it means you don't hear it. 2nd and other low orders are largely masked by the ear\brain's own self_distortion. The extension of that masking does not go beyond the next couple harmonics, so all the high order stuff is largely unmasked.

Cubic is wrong. It is the pattern as well as the decay...Keith Howard demonstrated this as well. One might speculate why...I personally think it has to do with the gap in the harmonic spectrum breaks up the masking effect... and our ear\brain evolved to hear natural sounds in an exponential decay if harmonics...that is how the ears own distortion pattern looks...not cubic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.