Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Transmitter Tube SET. What Are Your Overall Experiences?

I certainly want to thanks everyone for taking the time to put their thoughts and experiences into this thread, its given me a fair amount to think about. This is not a purchase I plan on making without a good deal of thought, and while I do not have a time table I need to hit, I am certainly interested in traveling this path.

211 based amps sound interesting, and for my modest budget there are a couple of Cary amps I can afford on the used market. Cary can be a controversial company it seems these days, at one time they were a giant in the SET market, and then they have seem to fallen into disfavor. Any thoughts on why? As mentioned, there are a couple of versions of the 211m currently available.

I have given some thought to Atmasphere and an OTL amp. These JBL 4365 do drop to 6 ohms, and so they should be a reasonable match. I have not spent any considerable time listening to OTL, so I am not sure if this is something I should explore.

Other than that I don't see much that works for me. The Shugaung T845 no longer seems available. I did see some NAT Audio 211 amps, but even used they are past my financial reach. ASL also seems to have fallen out of favor. Mastersound 845 based amps are also a bit too far of a stretch. But perhaps if I wait awhile longer and build the audio kitty, it might be worth delaying a purchase for a year or two.

Yes I do have the AVM Audio Amp Essential monoblocks, these are an early version from around 2005. Lots of very good sounding SS power on tap, 200 wpc at 8 ohms, and perhaps one of the most evenly balanced and honest SS amps I have heard. I can easily listen to them, and they are great all around performers. I just have been away from tube audio for a long time, and its hard to leave a path that has been so well traveled and consistently provided me with top notch sound. I feel like I might be missing something.

But once again, thanks all for your participation, and if you have more to say on the subject then please do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.