Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Class D gain

I have some idea on this because I had in the past an amp from the company NAT out of Serbia.

The amp was the Symbiosis SE, which was a single ended hybrid that had a tube input, tube driver and an output stage with a single large MOSFET that was strapped to the bottom of a huge heat sink...per channel. There were two other heat sink towers that also had a single MOSFET that were regulating the output of the other MOSFET. Being single ended it was pure Class A where it consumed 800 watts even at idle.

This amp in some ways was the most amazing sounding amp I ever heard...if you could wait 2 hours for it to fully warm up (it was 155lbs. so there was a lot to warm up). It got spookily transparent...like an OTL and yet had much of the tonality of a good SET. It didn't quite have the same inner resolution and holography of a top SET but it wasn't absent either.

Of course there was not Feedback on this amp at all and it sounded that way. The most interesting part was that it actually put out 100 watts into either 8 or 4 ohms and was 2 ohm capable.

So, while a MOSFET doesn't sound quite like a triode it could in many ways sound quite convincing when used like a triode.

The only reason I sold it was the very long warm up to where it sounded almost psychedelically good...before that it was kind of like you knew it could do much better so it was a bit disappointing until it really came on song.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Class D gain - morricab 02:59:11 10/25/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.