Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Yup!

I've had this suspicion with higher powered SET amps..... It seems like the flea-powered units ( < 5 watts per channel) provide the most "magic"..........

I find this true with push-pull solid state as well.....

This is why the type 45 is the King of SETs and has been for a while. You almost have to try to mess things up to not get bandwidth.

Just for fun I designed a little 5 watt P-P amp using EL95s to see how it might compete against SETs of the same power. At least with the amps I used (which use 2A3s) the EL95 amp was better in every way: more 3D, more detailed, smoother and more relaxed, especially at higher power. But it was better at low power levels too.

I think the reason SET lovers like them so much is they don't really get a chance to compare apples to apples. IMO/IME you can do that one of two ways. Either compare a PP amp using the same tubes as the SET, or compare a PP of the same power as the SET. I've done both so I have a pair of PP type 45 amps that I built up to compare against a type 45 SET. It wasn't even fair- the PP was better in so many ways (def.: 'better', adj to have greater detail, smoother presentation, greater impact, overall more musical and organic sound).

I did all this in order to sort out what kind of amp I wanted for my bedroom system. Since I never push the volume hard SETs were in the running until I tried this comparison. The little 5 watt amp demonstrated that technology had indeed progressed since the time when DHTs were the only game in town.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.