Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Audiophile hotbed

The first sign of a racist is lumping everyone into one box. Maybe check that at the door.

So let's take your nonsense point by point. Audiophiles come in all shapes and sizes - the LS-3/5a is hugely popular here because they are small and fit relatively small rooms. They are, as are some other speakers, quite good in small rooms. I live in such an apartment here, while I am here and I have 9-foot ceilings, 13 wide and 17 long - this is not massive but it's fairly close to a typical living room in Canada or the US. Having solid concrete walls, ceilings and floors are superior to a room with wooden walls that sing along with the music. I can choose a larger living space that would yield higher quality sound but I prefer living in the penthouse overlooking the ocean and having access to three clubhouses with three outdoor pools and 2 indoor pools and being a 1-minute walk to the white sandy beach. If I move to a village house I would get more space but no view and no clubhouses. So you make a sacrifice.

There is a limit to the sound that can be generated in small to medium-sized rooms. The ability to generate a realistic dynamic scale that a large horn speaker can offer in a larger room really can't be realized in a small medium-sized room (no matter what system you put it in there). It's a compromise. Albeit most big multiway speakers also have certain weaknesses that tend to bother me. It may impress in a big room at an audio show or a big room at an audio dealer but if it is stuffed into the average room it will probably suck.

As for expense - I bought the Audio Note J/SPe brand new in 2003 for $2500 and I sold it in 2016 for $2917 (+ $417 after 13 years) and that owner could sell it for more than he paid me.

And that was a rush sale as a friend sold it for me - it was also in the worst colour option - black.

I bought my Audio Note OTO Phono SE in 2003 - I can sell it for $400-$500 more than I paid for it.

I sold my Audio Note TT2 turntable in Hong Kong after 3 years of ownership for a couple hundred more than I paid.

So it sure doesn't "seem" too expensive to me. The same day I bought the Audio Note J/SPe - for the exact same price I could have bought the MM De Capo from Reference 3a ($2500). I saw a mint condition set here at a second-hand shop for $900.

So which brand is expensive? $2500 down to $900 is a $1600 loss - or the AN J (a much better sounding speaker which is why the value didn't tank) has a $417 gain. The De Capo and AN J both retailed for $2500 but the DeCapo actually costs you $2017 more a decade down the road - and it doesn't sound as good for the 13 years you owned it.

It's also somewhat reassuring that 10 years later if something breaks the company will be in business and still has replacement parts. That also helps the resale value. Plenty of companies change models 7 years down the line and it's bye-bye your chance to get a tweeter replacement.

There are some factors to consider here beyond sound. Like if I have to buy an amp or speaker from Switzerland from a handful of person operations and they have a proprietary design and 3 years later they go belly up and I paid $40,000 for the thing then what? I have a very expensive product from a tiny outfit using unobtanium parts? And good luck selling it.

Edits: 09/11/21 09/11/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audiophile hotbed - RGA 08:21:16 09/11/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.