Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: "worth the money"

The problem with all audio shows is you're not just listening to the amplifiers. The room is an unknown the speakers, cables, sources.

As you may know, I am an Audio Note fan but let's be real - if the AN E speaker doesn't do it for you then it's game over for everything driving the speakers. Room 2 may have a WAVAC on some horn speaker you love or a single driver 100dB and so room 2 may sound better overall - even though the AN amp may utterly trounce the WAVAC - all because of the speakers. I own the AN E and I have heard it sound downright middling boomy, coloured at Audio Shows.

On top of that - they always seemed to sound worse when they ran their old Meishu (300B) amplifier versus the Jinro (211). I think I was right since they have come out with the Meishu Tonmeister to replace the Meishu.

Plus an audio show has limited time to audition - stuff can grow on people over time. I hated Audio Note the first time I heard them. I loved the ATC Parasound combination when I first auditioned them but on several follow up auditions it was unlistenable to me on music I liked - I don't blame Parasound - Bricasti at $15,000 was far worse (probably got class A in Stereophile) - groan.

Indeed, I have done the same - probably misjudged a ton of speakers based on the fact they were being run with high negative feedback class A/B SS amplifiers. So I think back to those "bad speakers" and wonder - "gee what if I put a Jinro/Tomei/Ongaku on that speaker? Probably going to sound a helluva lot better than the Brightson(I mean Bryston).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.