Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: PS - This is the SET board

Yes my bad for using my speakers as an example - my first reply and the main point was system synergy.

I have been on forums for over 20 years and it's the same posts over and over - what do you think about this amp or this tube and in virtually 100% of cases the person answering the question has not heard said amp with your speakers, your cables, your source players or in your room. And they may not listen to the same kinds of music you do. A person who listens 95% to big orchestral works and pedal organ has a different requirement than someone who primarily listens to Eva Cassidy or The Eagles.

The 211 sounds more powerful than the 300B - I like the way Hong Kongers describe amplifiers perhaps because English is their second language but the 300B is described here as a Lady amp - which is to be taken as beautiful and pretty and gentle. The 211 is like Indiana Jones. Big and bold with enough gentility that it never becomes brash or overbearing.

But all of that can change depending on the speakers.

I spoke to Steve Hoffman about amplifiers as he has been attending audio shows for 40 years and has mastered the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Eva Cassidy, Pink Floyd, Linda Rondstadt, Art Pepper, CCR, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Gene Amons, Wes Montgomery, Duke Ellington, Johnny Cash, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, The Eagles, The Doors, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Metallica, Van Halen, Sinatra, Steely Dan (Aja), Steppenwolf, (you get the idea).

And his favourite tube is the 211 and he has both the Audio Note Jinro and Ongaku.

Audio Note is crushingly expensive for a 211 amp which is why I opted for the 2a3 Empress. But it doesn;t have the big tone of the 211.

There are monoblocks from Opera Consonance - I tried to get a pair for review but Opera told me they were pulling out of the west and didn't need English language reviews.

I did buy the Line Magnetic 219IA integrated as a kind of poor man's Jinro. That amp along with the Jinro has a softer more valve-like presentation than my Empress.

I mean you already have AVM amps that output 1000 watts into 2 ohms (am I correct?) and so if you want to listen to maximum volume symphony music you have that already. If you want the beautiful smaller music at normal levels then I would opt for the amps that add the pretty and the beautiful. 2a3, 45, 211

A secondhand Line Magnetic 219IA should be fairly reasonable and has 24 watts per channel - it's just really really big and heavy 55kg.

I think it takes more money to do 211 well due to more demanding output transformers and power supplies etc. And while some outfits in China offer lower-priced units most don't really sound as good as you'd hope.

If you look at Chinese units - Cayin is pretty good - they actually make the transformers for Line Magnetic and Prima Luna. I recently auditioned a really superb-sounding anniversary edition 845 integrated from them - it runs $5,000 USD in Hong Kong. Perhaps they have affordable 211s. Ditto a company called Sound Master (Not Mastersound). They still make the only KT88 amp that I liked.

HK is a nice market for classic JBL - Japan is probably better though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: PS - This is the SET board - RGA 18:32:37 09/14/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.