Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: harmonics added

I agree that anything odd other than the 3rd is not perceived well. They become more audible the further they are from the fundamental tone. That is why the 3rd is considered innocuous as the 2nd (and to a lessor degree, the 4th). I read this somewhere in the last 2 weeks but pounding google hasn't resulted in the page I viewed.

If you want to look at an example of where the 3rd shows up, look at any sort of analog tape recording. A properly working tape machine will have a primary distortion amount of the 3rd generated at 0VU which might be 3% at +3VU. Its also a product of output transformers although I've not spent a lot of time on the latter.

A lot of people say that a good reel to reel can't be touched by any other format; it would appear that the 3rd harmonic is relatively innocuous on that basis alone.

It seems that the 2nd and 3rd are somehow helpful to assist the ear/brain system in making out soundstage depth; I was interested to see that Nelson commented on that too. I've noticed using direct mic feeds in the studio if you use an amp that makes significant lower ordered harmonic distortion as opposed to one that does not, you seem to get a more accurate sense of depth out of the monitor system. I don't know why this is but Nelson's comment about this is not the only one I've seen. I'd love to see more research on that but I'm not holding my breath...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: harmonics added - Ralph 12:37:49 09/22/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.