Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Glad to see you reading some non-fiction for a change, but you missed where he referred to you

Looks like I've planted just enough of a seed in your head, to now you are curious as to what a high performance loudspeaker system really sounds like. Obviously the doubts about those Aliantes are starting to surface, which is good, since you are very seriously constraining you listening pleasure by having those little boxes in your room instead of a decent set of speakers.
Next thing you know you will be looking at non-Nutra Sweetener amplifiers. All part of the recovery process. Good job!
Now rather than go into the cherry picked line in that vast website that you quoted, I'll just link you to what he is referring to. Clearly he decided that the very subtle change in sound that his friend and he were both hearing deserved investigation in the real world (the opposite of the subjectivist fantasy land where nothing is measurable, except by ear). To show that it was not merely delusion, see the link.
Mow you really must read the entire site even though you will not comprehend it, so carry on. Here is a little short cut where he talks about you in particular:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm#H

SL - It is common practice in promoting audio products to tell a customer what to pay attention to in what he is going to hear, then to follow that with a demonstration, and afterwards to tell him again what he heard. It is the same process, whether it is a manufacturer's representative speaking with a store sales person, or the sales person talking to a prospective buyer. It is almost impossible for the target person not to hear, what has been suggested they will hear.

The power of suggestion has been used to perform major surgery without anesthesia, where the patient experiences no pain. It has been shown with CAT scans of the brain that in such cases an information disconnect occurs between the region that responds to pain, and the region of the brain that gives the patient the perception of pain. Thus, the normal perception process has been altered through the verbal, non-physical preparation that the patient received beforehand.

The influence of suggestion, especially when frequently repeated, should not be underestimated in the field of hearing. Many listeners have not acquired an auditory reference that is based on un-amplified sounds and are thus easily misled in matters of accuracy. Double-blind and ABX product comparison tests are frowned upon in some audio circles, though they remove any influence of suggestion, self or other generated.

I have no problem, if people enjoy their music more, because it has passed through a certain interconnect, has been transformer balanced, amplified without feedback, processed through a reissued WW2 transmitter tube and sent to their speakers on litz wires of specific arrangement and purity, except that the money for these suggestions could have been spent on better speakers, for real improvements in accuracy of dynamic range and resolution. After all, the loudspeakers are by far the weakest link in the chain of components that are needed for sound reproduction

Let me repeat what he is saying to you TG54, "except that the money for these SUGGESTIONS could have been spent on better speakers, for real improvements in accuracy of dynamic range and resolution."

BTW, I encourage you to keep reading more non-fiction, an excellent start on the road to recovery. Try reading up on the SS amps he uses too.

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.