Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The takeaway is..

As 'lipmanl' and 'wellfed' say "Kudos to Dr Linkwitz."

It takes courage to say what Dr Linkwitz is saying.
To quote "As I go through my selection of familiar material it becomes clear that human voice, soprano, stringed instruments and many other sounds have assumed a degree of naturalness that surpasses what the ORION was capable of before. I find that I play many recordings at even higher volume level and thoroughly enjoy the richness and subtleties of their sonic fabric and dynamism. Surprisingly, I keep pulling CDs out of my box of discarded ones and put them back on the active shelf. What I thought were poor recordings, because they were irritating to listen to, now turn out to be marginal recordings with faults that can be clearly identified, yet I can easily hear through those and still enjoy their musical content. I re-listen to choral works that I knew had difficult passages and now the speaker just sails through them..... Every sound source benefits, including pop music. In summary, a layer of distortion has been removed and even greater accuracy has been obtained in reproducing what is on the recording."

It takes courage to come out, quite probably after many years, and admit that CDs which he had originally not liked and where he had, all along, been blaming poor recording techniques, that it was not because of poor recording techniques because now, suddenly, he was hearing greater accuracy - from exactly these same CDs !! Meaning that the blame had been placed on the wrong thing all the time. And, again logically, not only that but originally, when Dr Linkwitz had played these CDs, the additional information he could now hear had been on the CDs all the time, that his CD player had been capable of retrieving that information all the time, that his amplifier had been capable of 'handling' that information perfectly OK all the time and the speaker drive unit had been capable of 'handling' that information OK all the time !!

But, it was his colleague's 'observation' which had alerted them both to what was available - not the conventional electronic theories, not the conventional acoustic theories, not the academic text books !!
The best current model available IS always subject to revision.
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.