Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Sheer Lunacy

Pat D-Cake claims: I have never suggested people should do DBTs to choose their equipment (although some few may prefer to do so).

Shall we examine this statement closer? Pat D-Cake has readily admitted in the past that he, like myself doesn't use DBTs to select his audio components. Instead once again like myself Pat D-Cake sits at whatever place he visits and plays music and listens. In the end I assume that once again, like myself Pat D-Cake selects the audio components that he prefers the sound of. Now if he selects the component he prefers the sound of what would be the reason he prefers that components sound? As a music lover/audiophile I'd have to believe it because he believes that particular component replicates music the best for the $$$$ spent, no? I mean if that's not what Pat D-Cake does than I question why sit and listen anyway?

So if Pat D-Cake does indeed do what I and everyone else I know does, which is to listen and in the end select the component whose sound I/they prefer the most, because it replicates music the best. Then after this decision is made we all at some point purchase and then take home our prefered audio component selection. At this point Pat D-Cake has done what perhaps 99% of all audiophile/music lovers do, he's made a subjective decision about which component "sounds" best to him.

Now having purchased an audio component subjectively that he prefers sans any ABX/DBTs he brings it home and installs it in his system. Pat D-Cake, like you & I bought it soley because it was the audio component he/we prefered. Again as a professed music lover it would be logical to assume he/we made this subjective purchase of the audio component based on it's ability to replicate music. So Pat D-Cake like you and I also most likely believes this audio component replicated music the best of all like-priced components. This is once again what you, I and I believe 99% of us music lovers/audiophiles are doing when we buy audio components.

This unfortunately however is where Pat D-Cake changes and now starts to act like an objectivist typically treat subjectivists. For now when we subjectivists come on PHP and talk about our audio component which we selected like Pat D-Cake did, via listening subjectively and for the same reason Pat D-Cake did, because we believed this audio component replicated music the best of all like-priced components. Pat D-Cake now wants proof via DBTs, that our opinion that we selected the best sounding audio component for the $$$$$ is just that! So while it's true that Pat D-Cake never outright suggests that subjectvists use ABX/DBTs to select their audio components, he instead later demands that they prove the audio component they selected like he did for the same reasons he did, is what they believe it to be, which is this: the best audio component for the $$$$ spent. This is essentially demanding they choose their equipment via DBTs, for now they must take a DBT to verify to Pat D-Cake that they did indeed purchase the audio component that replicates music the best for the money spent!

So yes Pat D-Cake we all know YOU don't use an ABX machine to choose your equipment, but in the end you back-handedly demand that subjectivists do so. Which is very hypocritical--I just think your denying it reflects your confusion of what you're actually doing. Otherwise you'd simply suggest that we, like you we just subjectively selected the best sounding audio component for the $$$$$ spent!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.