Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

My Point EXACTLY, Thanks RBG!

Thanks Richard you've made my point for me! Dr Linkwitz made specific choices on his Orion design and then published the measurements & test results on his website to explain how & why certain drivers were chosen for his Orions.

What the lunatic-fringe objectivists are deliberatly ignoring is the FACT that another person used only his hearing and suggested there was a problem that #1) Dr Linkwitz couldn't immediately hear everytime and #2)Didn't notice with all his precise measurements! Yet once he implemented the suggested fix, Dr Linkwitz being an objectivist of character readily admits... What is the sonic benefit? Well, it does not jump out as something you immediately point to. As I go through my selection of familiar material it becomes clear that (I added these numbers TG1954)

1) human voice, soprano, stringed instruments and many other sounds have assumed a degree of naturalness that surpasses what the ORION was capable of before.

2) I find that I play many recordings at even higher volume level and thoroughly enjoy the richness and subtleties of their sonic fabric and dynamism.

3) Surprisingly, I keep pulling CDs out of my box of discarded ones and put them back on the active shelf. What I thought were poor recordings, because they were irritating to listen to, now turn out to be marginal recordings with faults that can be clearly identified, yet I can easily hear through those and still enjoy their musical content.

4) I re-listen to choral works that I knew had difficult passages and now the speaker just sails through them, yet I hear why it was difficult before Hence the ear proved more accurate the the measurements did!

Now all suddenly in the face of this observation the lunatic-fringe objectivists here are readily admitting something they didn't before, i.e. There are always people who can easily hear something that is difficult or impossible for you or me to hear and that's precisely why I use the ear as the final arbitrator. Now before everyone of the lunatic-fringe objectivists starts freaking out I'll readily admit, that sometimes, like RBG also said, There are also people who imagine hearing something that nobody can really hear. However if the objectivist is an objectivist of character he won't automatically assume this was the case, because he'll know it's equally as likely that person in might be hearing something he cannot!

That's the one of the major problems here on PHP most of the objectivists here immediately assume anyone who hears something they don't is fooling themselves, or imagining they're hearing something or claiming to have "super-hearing". Never once have I seen an objectivist hear admit it's possible the other person is hearing what they claim to....

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.