Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Dr Linkwitz An Objectivist of Character Admits The Truth

I have to give Dr Linkwitz a lot of credit for publically admitting what he did. It seems that unlike the vast majority of objectivists here on PHP, Dr Linkwitz doesn't automatically believe if and when another person can hear something he doesn't, that person must be fooling themselves, convincing themselves they're hearing something that doesn't exist, or claiming they have "super-hearing" abilities.

In Dr Linkwitz's own words "My longtime collaborator and former recording engineer of the US Marine Band, Don Barringer, has over the years helped me to evaluate my designs. I have learned to trust his observations even when I sometimes cannot immediately hear what he noticed. He brings a musician's and performer's background to my concert-goer's experience. It has always been a healthy exchange where we try to keep each other honest.

What's particularly interesting is:

1) Dr Linkwitz didn't hear the sound in question in his own system which he was intimately famliar with.

2) Sometimes Dr Linkwitz could not hear the sound in question even after it was pointed out to him! Which is confirmed with these words of his "...I sometimes cannot immediately hear what he noticed."

3) Dr Linkwitz didn't demand the person proof what he heard via a DBT.

Perhaps with such a respected objectivist like Dr Linkwitz admitting another person can hear things he cannot and furthermore sometimes even after it's pointed out to him he cannot immediately hear what the other person is talking about, maybe, just maybe this will encourage other objectivists to accept the fact others can sometimes hear things they don't. Maybe, just maybe, these objectivists will begin to believe when someone comments about a sound they cannot hear now and might not immediately notice after it's been pointed out to them. That doesn't mean: 1) it doesn't mean the other person is deluding themself, 2) it doesn't mean the other person is convincing themself they're hearing a sound that doesn't exist and most importantly 3) it doesn't mean the other person is claiming they have "super-hearing" abilities.

Below is a link to Dr Linkwitz statement so everyone can see it wasn't taken out of context.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Dr Linkwitz An Objectivist of Character Admits The Truth - thetubeguy1954 08:49:11 02/23/07 (144)

You can not post to an archived thread.