Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Misstatements?

First of all, it is not the alleged roller coaster impedance curve that causes the audible frequency response variations, but it is in great part the of the interaction of the output impedance of the amp with the impedance curve of the speaker.

Same thing. Speakers with linear curves don't exhibit the +/- 1 db variations.

First of all, that the FR variations of amps with a high output impedance into many speakers loads is likely to be audible, sometimes While you might prefer the response of the S2 with a tube amp, then again you might not. quite audible, whereas the FR of low output impedance amps varies very little into most speaker loads as compared to driving a resistor.

Indeed. 1 db variations are audible. 7 db variations are grossly audible.

JA, who took the measurements of the Paradigm Signature S2 for Stereophile, commented that "the balance overall is impressively flat," and it is.

We must be reading different reviews.

"The graph is impressively flat from 80Hz to 20kHz, though with slight excesses of upper-bass and mid-treble energy apparent. The former goes some way toward compensating for the S2's lack of mid- and low-bass output, while the latter is not unexpected, given my feelings about the speaker's slightly forward treble balance."

In JA's measurements, there is no such thing as a "+8 / -13 db response" in his curves above the bass.

My mistake. I was looking at the crossover plot. The summed response is only +7 / -5.

While you might prefer the response of the S2 with a tube amp, then again you might not.

Well the errors remain complementary given the extreme impedance curve. I'm not much of a box speaker fan anyway.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.