Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Here's an amplifier you'd die to own...if it had somebody elses name on it

My speakers are Class A Restricted LF in Stereophile's Recommended Components, if you need testimony other than mine as to how good they are.

morricab:
"Because I am sure the crown wouldn't sound worth a damn, that's why."

How would you know whether it wouldn't sound good?

Besides, I thought we were talking about the hypothesis of DSP, in which case one would want an amp with some real guts--which tends to be very expensive with tube amps. As you point out, the FR differences would be compensated for with the DSP, assuming the amp has the guts for it.

DSP would correct the room response at the listening position, so I don't see what your point is about the speakers. However, the speakers, the room acoustics and set up, signal processing, and the program material are the biggest determinants of the sound.

How you get the idea that I would think that one can't tell the difference between tube amps and SS amps (strictly, amps with a high output impedance vs. ones with a low output impedance), I can't say. That has, after all, been proven in some cases using double blind tests--and the results of one such test was published in Stereophile, with measurements that made it quite clear why the two amps sounded a bit different on some material.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Here's an amplifier you'd die to own...if it had somebody elses name on it - Pat D 22:02:37 11/06/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.