Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "Are you an electrical engineer? If not, maybe I shouldn't be talking to you"

The school I went to, Stevens Institute of Technology had some of the best professors anywhere and unlike more prestigious schools, you could get any and all of them as an undergraduate. Graduate assistants were NEVER substituted for the real thing. These guys sometimes floated around between teaching at Stevens, Brooklyn Poly, and other high prestige schools in the area. Some also did consulting work on the outside as well as research. Many of the very textbooks we used were written by them (what a way to sell more of their own books.) It was an outstanding school to receive an engineering or science education as an undergrad in. The same quantum chemistry text I used as a freshman was being used by a neighbor of mine in a Junior honors level course at Columbia University. There was no "dead wood."

Having thought about "software engineernig" I have come to the tentative conclusion that it is not an engineering course in the traditional sense. Engineering is science applied to problem solving. Some engineering schools may offer software engineering programs but apparantly there are others which don't because they are not necessary to that field. Engineers must therefore learn basic science including physics, chemistry, material science, mechanics (statics and dynamics) thermodynamics, fluidics among others, and mathematics including calculus, analytic geometry, differential equations, statistics and probability, and then their many specialized courses in their major field of study. Software engineering seems to me to be a completely separate branch of study inclusive of itself in the same way pure mathematics is but it is not mathematics either in the ordinary sense. Software is a tool engineers can and sometimes must use just as math is but it is not a traditional engineering course. While at the better schools, a software engineering course of study could be enhanced with some traditional engineering courses it would seem they don't have to be and often aren't. BTW, industrial engineering (the stopwatch guys) also isn't real engineering. I had a boss once who was one and he'd be the first one to tell you so.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.