Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Why don't you use the more accurate NRC data?

Well, we've talked you down to an extremely narrow -5 dB dip at 800 Hz (which you have thus far ignored for some reason) and a +3 dB peak at 10 kHz . I should point out that JA's measurements of the upper bass tend to introduce a hump anyway, and that the NRC anechoic measurements give a somewhat different picture.

Point one, we all know that amplifiers have smoother frequency responses than speakers. You seem to be attempting to make some point or other by repeating this, but you are far from clear as to what it is.

Oh, and by your standards, the response of the amp you showed is about +1, -1.5 dB into the simulated speaker load--I personally would ignore that narrow little dip, but since you don't, I won't. I point out that this will be audible.

Second, if you look at the NRC measurements, it is not at all clear that the variations in the FR of the tube amp into the simulated speaker load is complementary to the the on axis response for the Paradigm S2. In any case, if you prefer tubes, that's fine with me. I don't and for some reason that seems to bother you.

In any case, you have not made a very useful or significant comparions between the FR of the tube amp and that of the S2 speaker. An amplifier's frequency response is expressible with a single amplitude vs. frequency plot whereas a speaker radiates sound in all directions, and the FR in various directions is different. If the microphone moves even slightly in relation to the speaker, the FR will be different--something which is very clear in the NRC measurements and is also ascertainable from the dispersion plots in Stereophile.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Why don't you use the more accurate NRC data? - Pat D 22:27:51 11/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.