Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I'm just not sure about one thing

"Yep. Speaker with a depressed midrange will sound that way played louder too, but that can be quite pleasant on a lot of material. But it doesn't prevent them from sounding great at low levels."

I disagree, a depressed midrange most certainly affects things from sounding correct at any level. Speech intelligibility for one thing suffers. I have heard this with a number of speakers that have a dip in the presence region. Also, when the level gets lower that 3-5 db or so dip may now drop the response in that region below the level where the speaker performs correctly thus further reducing the clarity of sounds in that frequency range.

"You'd better look at those equal loudness curves again. Sensitivity in the bass drops quite a bit as the level goes down"

Not sure what point you are trying to make here. It would be helpful if you completed the full thought rather than give a one liner and expect me to interpret what you mean. I try to be as explicit as possible so as not to be misunderstood. I frankly have now idea what you want to make of this obvious factoid. It seems like a non-sequitor.

"Oh, I just looked on the Stereophile site and there is an interesting article by Keith Howard on voice coil heating and changes in impedance. He thinks it's likely to be a negligible factor in normal listening."

I read this but I question his methodology a bit. Here is another test done with small hifi and pro monitors (not very different from the kind of speaker Howard used) and they show quite demonstrable differences in the performance due to thermal compression.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul02/articles/monitors2.asp

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.