Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I'm just not sure about one thing

I've heard much of the jargon in the audio subculture. Sorry, I just don't think most of it makes sense.

I may or may not be the only one who questions the use of optical imagery in audio. For example, we have an idea what transparent means in relation to glass. It means you can see through it. Now, in audio, you explicitly relate it to feelings: "the feeling that there is nothing between you and the original sound." Nothing objective there.

Ah yes! The B & W 802N, a speaker I have heard and which certainly is not invisible. I didn't like it, either. I suspect the uneven off axis dispersion below the crossover between the midrange and the tweeter is one fault. When one talks of FR with speakers one must really include dispersion as well.

As is clear from my Inmate Systems entry, I listen mostly to classical music.

I'm so far not into DSP.

I don't know about barking dogs. Don't usually hear them at concerts. Sounds like a noise floor issue to me but then we really don't know what is going on. And you never will as long as you continute with your 'black box' approach of simply swapping pieces. I should also point out that, even as stated from your own perspective, you have not traced the problem to speakers. Do you mean that the barking dog can't be heard on other speakers?

I am simply astonished by your assertion the FR has little to do with coloration! You put it down to distortion. In any case, the distortion of my speakers is quite low at normal listening levels.

Dynamics--well Soundstage is beginning to measure compression, and did so with this inexpensive but nice measuring speaker:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/speakers/psb_image_t45/

Low level resolution seems to have a lot to do with Fletcher-Munson effects, also noise levels.

There are a number of things I can think of that effect whether a speaker sounds harsh at high levels. Fletcher-Munson effects can do that, too, among other things. So we haven't gotten totally away from FR.

"A high resolution speaker will give you insight into which gear and cables are giving you the full information and which ones have audible problems. However; if the speaker is mucking things up too much then the ability is flawed."

Well, there we are into optical imagery again. I'm afraid that a 1 ohm speaker will help create problems with a lot of amplifiers which can't drive it. I can't see that that makes it particularly revealing otherwise, or that it has much applicability to speakers designed more sensibly. If I wanted to drive Apogee Scintillas, I would get much bigger amp amp with lots of current capability. But my amp seems quite adequate to drive most speakers, including the Quad ESL-63 and my Paradigm Signatures S2's. I fail to see, for example, that the speakers are mucking things up just because less powerful amps can drive them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.