Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I think there are couple more variables here

and can see both sides of this (contentious?) coin.

1. Preferred listening levels

While I attended a handful of rock concerts at head banging levels thirty years ago, I have long since abstained from such torture. My experience parallels that of SM with most classical music averaging in the 70s and 80s rarely peaking 100 db. At least from where I sit. My usual listening habits reflect those kinds of levels regardless of what kind of music I'm listening to at the time. According to the peak reading LED ladders on the amp in my vintage garage system, I am usually running under 2 watts total with some peaks hitting 8 watts. Those wishing for louder levels will naturally require considerably higher power. My 400 watt amplifier is overkill in this situation although it does run pure class A at these low levels.

2. Musical content

There can be a spectacular difference in dynamics found in various recordings. One of my worst case scenarios (and favorite pieces of music) is Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. In this forty five minute work, there is probably a collective sum of about three seconds worth of explosive peaks that determine the maximum level I can listen with 330 watt mono amps in the main music system. More would be better. 800 watts per amp would be just about right. The most natural, authoritative, completely unstrained system in my experience used a pair of 1200 watt tube amps driving the main towers and 400 watt SS amps on the subs.

I'm of the opinion that quality for quality, more power is always better to handle the most demanding music. A little, however, can go a long way with 95% of the recordings I have.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.