Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Dunno what to make of 6 Moons new pay-for-review policy.

If Srajan is serious, it's probably the beginning of the end for 6 Moons and perhaps anybody else who follows suit as this non-sensical strategy open new cans of worms.

For example, many mags especially internet rags, employ enthusiast's services as "reviewers" simply because they have some writing skills and not necessarily because they know what they're talking about nor because they have well-trained ears.

For example, 6 moons employs one reviewer who was such a joke, it took everything in me not to throw him and his "dad" out into the street.

In ohter words, if one should pay for a review or pay to read a review, then there should be some sort of professional expectations and standards by which one is qualified or disqualified as a "reviewer".

I won't be be holding my breath on that one.

Imagine a new manufacturer paying 6 moons or another rag for a review but because the reviewer in reality couldn't punch his way out of a musical bag if his life depended on it, gave a poor review, or even just missed half of the audible benefits of the product under review because his qualifications were questionable at best. Well, that could someday land a mag like 6moons into a court of law because when one pays for professional services, a certain level of professional services should be expected and required.

For example, if I'm paying $500 for a brake job on my car and Srajan, the garage owner, hands the job off to his 10 year old grandson who one day hopes to be a mechanic and screws up the break job, well, Srajan would be the one ultimately responsible for such malpractice. Even if he claims he didn't know better because he should have known better when he accepted the job, took the money, and assigned responsibility to another.

By no means am I picking on 6moons as I've had a few not too dissimilar experiences with several other "reviewers" from other internet rags.

The point being, when it's free, an editor-in-chief can allow a 10-year old the opportunity to review a product. You get what you pay for, right? But when one pays for a review, the amateurism must stop and a professional attitude and quality of service must take precedence.

Maybe, the "high-end" audio industry needs an Angie's List type of referral service for reviewers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dunno what to make of 6 Moons new pay-for-review policy. - stehno 15:23:35 08/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.