Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Freeloaders?

Six Moons' "product" is equipment reviews. The "raw material" for this product is the equipment provided by manufacturers. No equipment, no reviews. No reviews, no product. No product, no business.

Six Moons is banking on enough people going to their website to read their reviews (i.e. "consume their product") so they can charge enough for advertising to be profitable.

Manufacturers provide this raw material for free. In addition, they pay for shipping both ways which can be rather expensive depending on the product in question. And of course once a reviewer has had their grubby little hands on a piece of gear for weeks or months, the manufacturer can no longer sell this piece of gear (rightly) as new, so it has to be discounted.

This in exchange for a review that may or may not garner enough sales to even recoup the costs of providing this raw material.

And you call these guys "freeloaders"?

Six Moons should be thanking their fucking lucky stars that manufacturers are willing to send them equipment for free to review (and say what you will about Consumer Reports, they PAY for everything they review).

Instead, they feel that manufacturers should pay them for the privilege of supplying them their raw materials.

What chutzpah!

I hope every manufacturer boycotts this pay-to-play scheme. And those who don't, whenever they make reference to any Six Moons review of theirs, they should disclose in the same space that they paid for that review. If not, I hope others make an effort to make it publicly known.

May pay-to-play crash and burn.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.