Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Some further points

"But then professional lawyers cheat people and professional doctors kill people. They have their organizations to back up their misdeeds and thereby (usually) evade the consequences of their unethical behavior.
"

I said professional not perfect, Tony. People are still people. The important thing about those professions is that if you are found to be unethical you can be disbarred from being a lawyer and therefore no longer a professional or have your medical license taken away when malpractice is confirmed.

These people though, have had the widely agreed upon level of training and expertise to call themselves professionals (however, lawyers have to prove themselves again and again if they move to other states and/or countries where laws can be radically different). Srajan is self-appointing his professional status. Since there is no "hifi reviewers professional organization" then it is more by consensus of their readership as well as how they make their living as to whether or not someone would be designated "professional" and not up to the reviewer himself to self-annoint to such a title.

I called to question his self-annointment because based on the difficulty of reading and comprehending his reviews (as attested on these pages many times over the years) I feel he does not meet an accepted standard of journalistic writing. Maybe I am wrong about that but when one contrasts his writing with an Art Dudley or Martin Colloms (both widely regarded as professional reviewers I think) it becomes rather obvious. As a blog it would be fine but as a clear, consise and/or entertaining review? Not to me or many others. The one reason to keep reading him is the unusual gear he "finds" and that he seems not to be afraid to make critical comments in a review...if you can get through the whole thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.