Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Freeloaders?

You are joking right?

Not at all.

So let's say it costs the manufacturer 50 bucks to ship the gear to a 6 moons reviewer each way. 100 bucks.

Nice review...gets linked on the manufacturers website, handed out at audio shows, and generally creates good will and lots of potential sales.

Or not.

And what if it's a $5,000 amplifier that you now have to discount in order to sell it because you can't sell it as new? That's going to cost upwards of $1,000.

Please tell me where you can get this kind of activity for a 100 bucks.

Please tell me how much experience you have as an audio manufacturer.

The Audio Guild? Who the fuck is that. Never heard of you. You best get your ass to UPS and send Srajan a sample.

Been there, done that (this was nine years ago). The review (by Srajan himself) didn't garner so much as a single sales inquiry. Same with a write up in another online review mag. And a company I used to work for got both a very nice review and the cover of Stereophile. No real impact on sales from that either.

But when we decided to produce an aftermarket headphone cable, after a few kind words from a happy customer on one of the forums at HeadFi, the next thing we knew it was all we could do to keep up with the orders.

Didn't cost a dime. We've never done any advertising or had the headphone cables reviewed by a "professional" reviewer. And a little over three years later, my clipboards are still regularly full with orders.

So you'll forgive me if I don't believe that "professional" reviews are some sort of cheap meal ticket to success and that us "freeloaders" should pay for them beyond what's already being paid so that reviewers can get their raw materials for free.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.