Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

We got to move these refrigerators...

Maybe the reviewer/publisher is fine with pointing folks at a lengthy explanation/justification, but on the surface the notion: "that Web site sells reviews for money" sounds so bad that it needs to claim instead "no, we sell advertising and if you want a review you must advertise."

Suppose the manufacturer does not want to buy, or at least have, advertising because he knows readers find it unseemly when a review of X and an ad for X appear together.

Would the reviewer/publisher write a review of an unadvertised product for money from a manufacturer?

If the reviewer/publisher wrote a review without publishing an ad, would he say, "well, the manufacturer really bought an ad, he did not buy a review - but the ad is unpublished."

I'm sure someone could wordsmith their way around this slipperiness, but I can't get over the notion that what is being sold is a review. As Mr. Ebaen writes: "Manufacturers decide what a review from us is worth to them." The manufacturer mulls it over: "do I want to buy a $1000 review or a $5000 review?"

Presumably the publisher must require payment up front, before any review is written - the manufacturer must buy sight unseen. Otherwise he likely will turn down paying for a bad review, thus leaving the site selling good reviews for money. How many manufacturers will pay up front and take the gamble? How many manufacturers will presume a favorable review is forthcoming?

What will be the impact on other review publications? There is already enough squirreliness in the audio community about reviews and ads. Perhaps the upside goes something like: "well at least these guys are open about taking money for reviews."

While I enjoyed reading Wojciech Pacula, I've never otherwise being an avid reader of 6-Moons, but they've been around for a while and I'm sorry to see their situation come to this. But maybe it will work. Good luck going forward.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • We got to move these refrigerators... - JTimothyA 01:35:19 07/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.