Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Well one could certainly contest a couple of points

"If your readers think you are professional and truly giving valuable advice with well written, concise and insightful reviews then they will pay."

Not enough will pay enough. For example, The New York Times lost more than 99% of its readership the moment it put up its paywall in Feb 2011. Today, it currently posts 760,000 subscribers, which is better, but still nothing like the 61.9m unique browsers it got before the paywall. The London Times went from 20.4m unique browsers in 2010 to 131,000 fee-paying subscribers two years later (I don't have more recent statistics to hand). Most people in the subscriptions field expect an attrition rate of around 95-99% of the pre-paywall audience, almost irrespective of content.

A lot of site owners feel their content is distinctive, valued, and valuable enough to be a financially bankable asset. They typically put up a paywall for their services, and disappear without trace soon after.

A pay model is survivable (just) if you are the New York Times, because a tiny fraction of 61.9m is still hundreds of thousands willing to pay a subscription. It's survivable if you are the London Times too, because you have a very profitable multinational TV organisation holding out an umbrella for you. But when you don't have tens of millions of unique visitors every month, ridding yourself of almost all of them is suicide.
-

Editor, Hi-Fi Plus magazine, Lun-duhnn, Ingerland, innit

Edits: 07/22/14 07/22/14 07/22/14 07/22/14 07/22/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.